The Kestrel 5400 is revolutionary in size, cost and capability for those in need of measuring Heat Stress.
How Does the Kestrel 5400 Fire Weather Pro Work?
The Kestrel 5400 uses a 1-inch black globe to gather information about the environment, which isn't possible with current Kestrels. As is true with the original Wet Bulb Globe Temperature apparatus, a temperature sensor is installed inside the globe that will measure the temperature inside. The temperature inside the globe is a function of the ambient air temperature, solar insolation and wind speed.
As one can imagine, a sunny day will make the globe hotter because it's painted black, and colder ambient temperatures will have a tendency to cool off the globe. Lastly, the wind will cause the globe to get closer to the ambient air temperature because it will carry heat away from the globe when the air is cooler, or increase heat transfer to the globe if the air is warmer than the globe.
The Kestrel must sit out for a period of time to allow the globe to adjust to true atmospheric conditions; we recommend a minimum of 7-10 minutes. The globe temperature is then taken into account along with other measurements, such as ambient temperature, humidity and pressure, to calculate more meaningful measurements, such as Wet Bulb Globe Temperature and Thermal Work Limit.
The Kestrel Meter 5400 Heat Stress Meter measures/features
- Wet Bulb Globe Temperature ("WBGT")
- Thermal Work Limit ("TWL")
- Waterless! Natural Wet Bulb Temperature accurately calculated from on-board digital sensors with no tedious setup or maintenance.
- Large, hi-res, hi-contrast, graphic display is perfectly readable in the brightest sunlight and is backlit for use in low-light conditions.
- Globe Temperature
- Naturally Aspirated Wet Bulb Temperature
- Wind Speed (Current, Average, & Maximum)
- Pressure trend
- Barometric pressure
- Relative humidity in %
- Heat stress index
- Wet bulb temperature
- Density altitude
- Wind chill
- Air, water, and snow temperature °F or °C
- Time and date
- Easy- to-read backlit display
- Data Logger (automatic and manual)
- Customizable data storage - 2900 data points
- Humidity sensor can be calibrated in the field with our Relative Humidity Calibration Kit.
- Customize screens to display user-selected measurements
- Graph and recall trends
- User-replaceable impeller
- Data charting
- Upload to a computer (with optional interface)
- Meets MIL-STD-810F 516.5 Procedure IV Transit Shock test - 20 drops from 5 ft. IP-67 sealed to exclude dust and water at 3 ft. submersion
- Five languages (English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian)
- Made in the USA
- 5 Year Warranty